Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Rainbow Connection

My friend Ginny Stiles has inspired me to check out the abstract watercolors of Peggy Furlin - she does beautiful work.  I decided to try something similar to her work and it was  much more difficult than I expected. 

I started with a wet-in-wet background - I poured Liquitex acrylic inks using yellow, red-violet and pthalo blue and lots of water - I moved the paper around a lot in order to get the colors to blend and mix.

Then I did a light pencil drawing of the composition and painted in the various shapes using watercolor.  I used the Rives BFK printmaking paper  (6x10) which worked very well for this work.

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I would have thought printmaking paper would have worked like a blotter and been hard to paint on. I think you did a good job and I like the abstractness of this.

Debbie Nolan said...

Barb - this is so pretty - I love the colors you chose - for some reason it makes me think of musical notes (don't ask me why?) Very lovely and thanks for sharing.

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks,Rhonda - I thought printmaking paper would be very absorbant - and this is - but not to the extent I expected.

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Debbie - Maybe because of the title - wasn't that a Muppet's song at one time?