Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Haitian Makeda Dancer

This painting was started with a poured background - wet-into-wet- with three colors...fleshtone, antwerp blue and quinacridone rose-violet.  I added salt while it was still wet and then allowed it to dry (with the help of the hair dryer.) I really like the colors resulting from the combination of the fleshtone and the rose violet. Then I drew my dancer on the dry painting with pencil using one of the dancers from a photo of a group of Makeda dancers that I found on the internet.  I used the dancer as inspiration and did not really copy it, due to copyright restrictions.  I made many changes while I was drawing.  Then I lifted some of the lights and darkened some of the areas with watercolor to help pop the painting.

No comments: