Saturday, January 29, 2011
Orange Day Lilies
This painting is going to be the subject of my lesson for the class I am teaching on Monday night. It is 7" x 11" and is painted on Canson 140 lb. cold-pressed watercolor paper. I used orange and red orange, sap and hooker's green dark with alizarin crimson added to the greens for the darks. I first poured the oranges onto wet paper and then lifted areas that I wanted to be lighter. After drying it well, I mixed a series of different greens, and after wetting the background with clear water, dropped in the different greens indiscriminately right up to the edges of the flowers. I finished the painting by negative painting darker greens around the leaves. The last step was to detail and define the flowers with deeper orange. I darkened the orange with ultramarine blue for the shadows.