Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Step House


This is the painting I did from the photo provided us by the Watercolor Workshop Yahoo Group for the monthly paint-along.  It is a 'step-house' from the east coast.  As you can see, I took many liberties with the original photograph when I drew it - eliminating a lot of the foreground and some trees behind the house.  I also changed the format from vertical to horizontal.  I also took liberty and made all the roofs the same color and added some additional colors into the trees which I also softened a lot.  I still tried to keep the stark morning sunlight as it lights up the house and reflects on the trees.
The painting is 9" x 12" and is painted on 140 lb. Acquerella cold-pressed watercolor paper with an assortment of various tube watercolors.

No comments: