Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cubistic Reconstruction of a Painting


The October monthly project for the online group, the Watercolor Workshop is to take an old painting and re-do/reconstruct it using any methods you wish.  I took a painting I did in a workshop with Marge Brandt and turned it into a work in cubism -( so-to-speak!)

First I took my ruler and ruled out areas to create shapes.  Then I used masking tape and taped the edges of some of the shapes and using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser  removed much of the paint from those areas.  Then I removed the tape and started painting in areas with watercolor trying to balance out colors and shapes - I repeated colors in the original painting, but in unrealistic areas.  Then I added some interest by repainting some of the weeds and branches.  This was a fun exercise and I actually like the results.  The painting is 11" x 14" and is on 140 lb. Arches cold-pressed watercolor paper.

2 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Barb what a marvelous idea - really like what you chose to do.

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Debbie. I like the revised better than the before.