Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, February 6, 2012

Painting# 19: Marilyn's Poinsettia

My daughter Marilyn gave me a lovely poinsettia at Christmas and it has given me much pleasure ever since.  It has been sitting on the coffee table next to the recliner which has been my bed at night and my nest during the day due to the fact that my back has kept me pretty much imobile.  I have watched this beautiful flower gradually lose its leaves and decided I had to capture a part of it before it left me entirely.
Last night I drew it on a small piece of  watercolor paper and painted it this evening with watercolor pencils.  It was approximately 4" x 6" before I cropped it in photoshop, and is painted on 140 lb. Fabriano Artistico cold-pressed watercolor paper. I thought it looked better cropped without so much of the blue background showing.  Below is a portion of the real poinsettia.


5 comments:

tülay said...

Çok beğendim sevgiler

Dee Doyle said...

Love your colors, Barb! Did you use your watercolor pencils with this one? How could we live without Photoshop! Great cropping! :-)

OLDLADYWITH FLARE said...

STILL PEEKING AT YOUR BEAUTIFUL WORK.

GRANNY FROM FLORIDA

RH Carpenter said...

Lovely - you've made it warmer than the real thing - you could do this in so many reds and pinks, couldn't you? I'm sorry you are still so immobile, though, and hope you are feeling better - as long as you have your artwork, your spirits will be okay, I know; but I wish you were strong and healthy, too.

Julie Flanders said...

This is lovely, Barb! But I'm so sorry your back is causing you so much trouble.