Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Whirligiggs!

Whirligiggs!

I finished this mixed media piece this evening.  I am going to use it for a lesson for my watercolor class this summer.  They have expressed an interest in doing some mixed media work.

I used an old watercolor painting as my base and then collaged green tissue paper over the entire surface allowing some of the original painting to show through.  Then I collaged pieces of white tissue paper on which I had painted and stamped gesso patterns.  Then I took a stiff bristle brush and softened the edges and drybrushed white gesso over the entire painting allowing the green tissue to peak through..  At this point, I drew the koi fish and then painted the composition with watercolors which worked really well over the gesso.  I was happy with the results because I love the textures which are showing through all the different layers.    This painting is approximately 12" x 16".

No comments: