Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, November 29, 2014

I Am The Diva Challenge #195: "Turning Old Into New"

The idea behind this challenge was to change the structure of a pattern - in my case I chose to take Meringue, a free-form pattern and change it into a grid-based pattern.

I decided to use the ideas of Mondrian and use a grid-based design similar to what Mondrian may have used and fit the freeform pattern Meringue into it, using some close-up sections and some farther away.I also decided to use the three primary colors that he often used in his designs.  In retrospect, my design needs more white spaces.

I also veered off of the graphic flat Mondrian-type design to add shading to give the shapes a more 3 dimensional effect.

This challenge is done on a 6" x 6" piece of white drawing paper using Micron pens and Prismacolor colored pencils.

4 comments:

Anne's tangle blog said...

This is fantastic, a 'wowser'!!!!!

David Hunter said...

Love your Tile, Barbara. Your design reminds me of a 'California Job Case' used by typesetters of hand set type. Beautiful colors. Wonderful variations of Meringue. Fab.

Lynell Harlow / Dreamweaver Stencils said...

Really like the Mondrian feel to your work this week. Also Bobbi's Winter Barn is gorgeous!

Annette P.-L. said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Very creative and artistic!