Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Day 26: 30 Paintings in 30 Days -Artistic Conscience

I feel that I have to address the fact that it is my opinion that artists have a moral obligation to not only create pleasing works of art, but to reflect and bring attention to society's ills.  Art is more than matching a painting to a sofa/couch... all artists, visual and otherwise, need to perform as a moral compass and create awareness of the things that are wrong or evil with society with their art.  Now, I realize that I can't, as one person, cure all society's ills, but, if I can even help to develop an awareness of inequalities or sickness that exist, than I must.

For some time I have been hearing of the gang rapes of young women in India with little justice afforded the women.  This collage is my attempt to promote some awareness of this awful problem.

Todays art work is a mixed media collage done on illustration board with acrylics, a leaf from India, and newspaper articles.  It is approximately 14" x 9".

No comments: