Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Using a Grid as a Compositional Element

Back to the book, again...Celebrate Your Creative Self... and the compositional styles.  This one uses a grid - which I combined with realistic fruit in a vertical format.  I used a 12" x 7" piece of matboard and oil pastels with watercolor for this quick composition.  In spite of the fact that I created this in an hour, I think it has a certain charm!!!  I was busy tonight cleaning out my oil painting plein air palette - taking out the crusty paint and squeezing in new fresh paint.  I use 2 small 7 day pill boxes - one for warm colors and one for cool and the paint tends to get crusty even when I store it in the freezer between painting expeditions.  Some day I will post my plein air set up!  It is fascinating!

6 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Interesting piece, Barb. One blogger took some of his older paintings that didn't sell and put lines on them and guess what, they sold.
I'd love to see your plein air set up. I plan to try plein air painting for my first time this spring or summer. It is a bit intimidating going out to paint in the great wide world.

Dee Doyle said...

Barb, My hat's off to you for being SO disciplined about doing each and every exercise from the Mary Todd Beam book. Each time you post one of those exercises, I feel that I have been dragging my feet, more due to "fear" of not being able to come up with such creative stuff, but still, to do with the time and space issues!

I WILL catch up ... my commitment to folks like you! You are an inspiration!

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Carol. As soon as I can get some pictures of my plein air supplies, I will post them. I love plein air paintings - it is almost a spiritual experience and well worth the effort.

Barb Sailor said...

Dee - not everything I have come up with from this book is worthy of acclaim!!! In fact most of it is questionable, but I have found that doing these projects has opened me up to new media, new approaches and techniques - and most importantly, enriched and widened my horizons. You just have to jump in with both feet and let the fear of failure go, go, go! Just hold your nose and jump into the deep end!

Unknown said...

How bout putting those pill boxes into a sturdy ziplock bag or tupperware box?

Barb Sailor said...

Thanks, Donna - the tupperware box is a good idea - I already tried the zip lock bag.